The Irish Health Service (Health Service Executive (HSE)) and the Department of Health are looking forward to celebrating World Patient Safety Day and are linking to undertake a number of events to mark World Patient Safety Day on the 17th September 2019.
In the build-up to World Patient Safety Day they will:
- Publish an article on patient safety and the forthcoming HSE Patient Safety Strategy for the September edition of the National Health Service Executive magazine, Health Matters
- Share the WHO patient safety campaign materials with the CEOs and Quality and Patient Safety Leads within their hospitals and community healthcare services in order for them to promote patient safety, and particularly the theme of “Speaking up for Patient Safety”, within their services.
- Communicate daily patient safety messages to HSE staff during the week of the 16th – 20th September via various social media broadcasts.
Specifically, On the 17th September, they will:
- Coordinate a “tweet chat” on the theme “Speaking up for Patient Safety”
- Undertake a staff broadcasts with links to videos by the CEO of the HSE, a Clinician and the Chairperson of Patients for Patient Safety Ireland, promoting Patient Safety and Speaking up for Patient Safety.
- Have stands outside the staff canteen in HSE headquarters on key patient safety issues such as the Know Check Ask medication safety campaign, patient safety, quality improvement, risk and incident management
- Broadcast their “Top Tips for Patient Safety” via social media, broadcast emails etc. throughout the day
- Advertise and participate in the free live stream of the documentary, To Err is Human and the subsequent discussion with a panel of patient safety leaders
- Use and share a number of WHO patient Safety campaign materials on the day
The National Director of Quality Improvement will deliver a QI Talktime webinar on Patient Safety and Quality Improvement https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/qid/resourcespublications/qitalktime.html
In addition, we are pleased to announce that the Irish Health Service will be launching its first national Patient Safety Strategy later this year and is planning to undertake another Patient Safety drive to coincide with the launch.
For further information on any of the above, please visit www.hse.ie; https://patientsforpatientsafety.ie/; https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/qid/; https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/qavd/; or https://health.gov.ie/national-patient-safety-office/
LIGHT UP FOR PATIENT SAFETY!
The Department of Health, Baggot Street and HSE headquarters, Dr Steevens’ Hospital, Dublin will be lit up in orange on 17th September.